Sunday, January 15, 2012

20 Weeks Today!!

20 weeks today!  That means I am halfway to 40 weeks or my EDD, more than halfway to full term or 37 weeks and only 4 weeks from the beginning of viability at 24 weeks!!

Last week at our targeted scan baby boy was measuring a little over 6 inches, or about the length of a banana, and weighed about 10 ounces!  According to thebump.com he is about he size of a cantaloupe!  Some people hate the food references but I can't think of anything easier to compare his size to so that's what you get!
Before 20 weeks he was measured from the top of his head to the crown of his rump, but from now on he will be measured from the top of his head to his toes!  I like this better so I can get a better idea of how long he really is!

Our next measurement will be in 3 weeks because I have what is called a marginal insertion of the umbilical cord which basically means that the cord is attached to the side of the placenta instead of the middle.  The doctor said that generally there are no complications from this but that our baby boy will be monitored more often to check his growth because sometimes this can cause complications with the baby causing him not to grow as he should be.  I am choosing not to worry about this but simply to make sure he is monitored and then deal with the situation if there are any problems.  Obviously, if he isn't growing as he should then I will be a good candidate for a c-section, which I hope doesn't happen but if it does then as long as we are both okay I'm fine with it of course.  I am thankful that we are being monitored weekly for CL and fetal heart tones because we are always reassured that he is doing well.  Hopefully, there will be no other complications and he will grow perfectly until 37 weeks or more!

Other changes?

I feel like my stomach is sticking out much farther, well of course it is!  People tell me it's my little bump but when you know how much flatter your stomach used to be and feel what it is now, it feels much bigger than most people think!  I am enjoying watching my stomach get bigger and take weekly pictures to compare.  I think it is pretty shocking to see the size I started out at and the size I am now already!

Hormones and emotions: all I can say is…... WOW.  Thanks to all the extra hormones my emotions have been all over the place lately.  It's so strange and frustrating not to be able to control that and I'm sure it completely baffles people at times.  Well, I'm sure it is also frustrating for the one person who has to deal with that day in and day out….. but of course he does an amazing job!  It's a strange feeling and I can't really explain it, but if you have been pregnant then you know what I mean!

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful wonderful wonderful enjoy every little moment!!!!

    ReplyDelete