Thursday, August 18, 2011

So what’s the plan?



Despite what has happened this past year we still have a strong desire to be parents, maybe even more so than before.  Losing a baby is probably one of the most traumatic things that a mother and father can go through and for some; this puts a halt to their journey to parenthood.  For Angel Moms and Dads, all subsequent pregnancies are tough.  We know too much to enjoy all the aspects of pregnancy that most parents do; we are no longer carefree, we have lost our innocence, as we Angel Moms say.

I believe the most important thing to do is research to fully understand what happened last time and what treatments are available to treat you and your LO next time.  Of course, another very important thing is to have a doctor that understands and can deal with your specific situation.  A good doctor will have a plan for subsequent pregnancies and will communicate that with you as my doctor has. 

All of my pregnancies from here on out will be considered high risk.  This simply means that my baby and I have a higher probability of something going wrong than a normal mother with no history of complications.  Having lost a baby at almost 19 weeks and likely having IC puts me at higher risk for complications such as preterm labor, PROM (pre-mature rupture of the membrane), infection and so on and so forth. 

As you can see in my previous post “SHG and MRI” I have had a few tests done to check for polyps, uterine abnormalities and any significant structural issues. 

So here is the plan now:

Once I get a BFP your hCG (human Chorionic Gonadotropin) levels are generally checked by doing multiple blood draws.  This is the hormone is produced by the cells that make up the placenta and is also the hormone which gives you that BFP!  They should double every 48-72 hours. 

My progesterone levels will also be tested at this time.  Progesterone maintains the pregnancy until birth.  My levels were on the low side of normal in the past so I generally use progesterone creams. 

I will also be requesting a CBC (complete blood count) to check my white blood cell, RBC, iron, etc. 

A cerclage will be placed at 13-14 weeks, or sewing the cervix shut.  Done at this time, it is called a preventative cerclage.  For the weeks after the cerclage is placed I will be on BR and antibiotics to ensure there are no infections. 

After that I will be monitored every week to every other week.  Cervical length will be checked at this time.  As long as my cervix does not shorten I should not have to be on very strict BR but will have to take it easy.  That means no working, no standing or walking for long periods of time, no exercise, no vacations or leaving the city and a lot of other “no’s!”.

Well, I think that’s enough info for now!  This process is very long and detailed but we are just hoping for the best at this point!  


Cerclage - Photo provided by Laura L. Oliver

1 comment:

  1. You are a strong women and have great support in your SO. I have enjoyed reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete