Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Walk to Remember


I walk to remember,
the steps you'll never take.
I carry you with me
as I firmly plant my feet.
Our trek started long ago
before my belly swelled.
You were a love that grew
like butterfly wings that beat.
Your gentle flutters then became
kicks upon which I would dwell.
And I would talk to you, sweet babe,
about the world you soon would meet.

The sun always shone upon us then ~
when you were in my womb.
And I was eager to show you the world
that would have been your home.
How you'd have loved the shining
blue skies without a cloud.
The autumn leaves turning,
the snow falling all around
The flowers in the summer
would have filled your eyes with smiles.
And the rain that might have fallen
woud have caused you great surprise.

You would have traveled far with me
holding me by the hand.
And I'd have shown you all I could ~
more than I can imagine.

You hold my HEART tightly now
as though we're holding hands
How far we've traveled, little one,
and my life with you has been sweet.
For I carry you in my heart,
as I firmly plant my feet.

By Kathie Rataj Mayo ~1986
A walk to remember children lost through miscarriage, stillbirth, infant and childhood death.  October 2, 2011

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tarsh! Poems and quotes just have so much meaning for me and I just love sharing them hoping that others can relate.

    ReplyDelete