Saturday, November 19, 2011

"Morning" sickness

This is something that not every pregnant woman has to deal with, vomiting and nausea during pregnancy.  Some say that I am lucky to experience it because I have symptoms and sometimes I agree, but if I could have a healthy baby without all of this, I would do it!  I know this isn't a pleasant topic but I really think most people have no idea how bad this can be for some people and I certainly struggle with it.  If you are squeamish or don't care to hear about vomit you may not want to read this post!!

I have pretty severe m/s (morning sickness - doesn't necessarily occur during the morning!) this pregnancy, as I did with Lindsey.  It started a little after 6 weeks where all of the sudden I was vomiting at all hours of the day.  Some mornings I would wake up just to throw up in the trash can next to my bed.  One of the most unpleasant things to vomit has to be stomach bile, it's what you throw up when your stomach is empty, it's yellow, acidic and has a horrid taste as you can imagine, oh and it also burns as it comes up!  I think the absolute hardest times for m/s is when you first start experiencing it.  I wasn't on any meds for it and it's weird to go from feeling completely normal to not being able to keep anything down.

I pretty much stuck to liquid foods in the beginning because they are so much easier to deal with if they come back up.  Things I ate were: apple sauce, yogurt, jello, chicken broth, juice, ginger ale and that's about it.   As you can imagine, when I finally was able to eat I could eat for an hour straight if I allowed myself to!  People have all of these little tricks of what to eat or do to help decrease m/s, well those stupid little things did not help me!  I seriously felt like I had some nasty food poisoning because as soon as I would eat something I could feel my insides just squirming and I could tell my stomach was not happy that I was trying to put something into it.
I eventually called a nurse at my doctor's office as I got to the point where I couldn't even keep a sip of water or ginger ale down and I knew I was getting dehydrated.  I just felt sick, weak, and exhausted to the point where I seriously considered going to the hospital to get fluids and something for the nausea.  However, eventually I could eat and drink in the evenings, maybe my body just got so hungry it gave up and let me win for a little while!

Well, ever since about 7 weeks I have been on a generic Zofran which is used for pregnant women and people on chemo.  It helps me a lot but I still have days where I am very nauseous and sometimes still vomit.  I take them 2x daily but they only last about 6 hours so by the time the evening hits I am done moving around.

The smells are one thing that can still get to me.  I feel like I have a constant bad smell in my nose.  Everything stinks to me most of the time; perfume, soap, fabric softener, some candles, air fresheners and I'm pretty sure I always find a bad smell even if there isn't one.  It's actually really hard because I feel like walking around with my sleeve over my nose most of the time!  Smells can actually make me vomit.
Last pregnancy my m/s started decreasing slowly and was pretty much gone by 15 weeks.  I am hoping the same thing will happen this time or even sooner!  15 weeks is only 3 weeks away so I am almost there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment