Monday, November 7, 2011

Second & Third blood draw

The results of my second draw (taken 9/28) was given to me on Thursday 9/29.  My progesterone had dropped to 20.5 BUT my hCG rose to 585!  It more than doubled in 48 hours so that is great!

The progesterone concerned me more than anything and caused me to panic inside a little.  What does this mean?  Could something be wrong with the baby's genetics again, like my first pregnancy?  The nurse reassured me that this happens all the time in healthy pregnancies and is not always an indicator that something is wrong.  They wanted to repeat the progesterone levels to make sure it wasn't a lab variability.  I went in that day for another progesterone blood draw.  By now my arm was black and blue but not painful.  Since my veins suck I usually only get blood drawn from my right arm.  I make sure to drink plenty of water before my draws to ensure they can get the vein with no problem!
There is nothing worse when getting your blood taken when they have to dig around for the vein, ouch!  This time was actually more painful than normal, probably from being stabbed two times previously in the past week!

In the meantime I was instructed to start progesterone just in case because they did not want my levels to fall too low because that can compromise the pregnancy.  I picked up my progesterone on my way home but wanted to hold out starting them until I got the results the next morning.  I know from experience that you cannot start and then stop progesterone supplements.  Friday morning they called to say my levels dropped even more to 17.5.  Little to say I started the progesterone as soon as I hung up the phone!
I was assured that this would take care of my levels and they would likely increase as soon as I start the progesterone.  I would likely be getting rechecked next week, the week of 10/3 to make sure the levels in fact did go back up.

They went back up after my next blood draw!!  YAY!
Then at my doctor's appointment on 10/26 they were all the way up to 24.5 which is great for me.  They had better be up with an extra 200 mg of progesterone taken daily!


No comments:

Post a Comment